Monday, April 23, 2012

Salad Scripture - Let Us Go

Hebrews 10:22-25     New Living Translation (NLT)

Let us go right into the presence of God with sincere hearts fully trusting him. For our guilty consciences have been sprinkled with Christ’s blood to make us clean, and our bodies have been washed with pure water.  Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise.  Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works.  And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.

As I entered into my time with God today, I was brought to some of the great "salad scripture" in Hebrews.  Just as salad is a healthy choice for me to fuel my physical body, these morsels from God give me the healthy fuel my spirit longs for. This is the truth that you God, spoke into my heart today.


Let us go right into the presence of God with sincere hearts fully trusting Him.  for our guilty conscience have been sprinkled with Christ's blood to make us clean and our bodies have been washed with pure water.  Time with God is not optional.  I can trust in Him fully and without fear. Christ paid my debt in full. His blood offering was and is enough to cover even the deepest and ugliest of my sins.  Spending time in God's presence is not spending time in the fringe, on the sidelines, as a casual observer. It's more than a 5 minute devotional, or listening to "christian" music in my day, or that quick prayer before dinner, bed or a big meeting. It's up close, it's personal and it doesn't happen by accident.

Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep His promise.  God isn't fickle and I shouldn't be either.  I can make the mental choice to set aside fear and doubt.  When I am "holding tightly without wavering" I am not dancing with temptation, I am not willfully sitting in my old sin situations. Instead of hearing my voice, I am listening for Gods. I am digging deep into God's truth and not settling for the slick smiles of a life that is less than the best that God intends for me.  Holding tightly without wavering takes work. It's not quick. It's not easy. I don't think God ever promised quick or easy.

Let us think of ways to motivate each other to acts of love and good works. I need to see past the end of my nose. I need to not make my friends faith journey any more difficult.  I need to make sure that I am not engaging in or encouraging activities or behaviors that may be areas of temptation, struggle or weakness for my faith family.  Can I meet a need, comfort a heavy heart, encourage growth, speak love, spread harmony?  It's not all about me - actually it is probably not at all about me. 

Let us not neglect meeting together...but encourage one another.  If I don't invest in my faith family, well that's sin. Period. At least for me. We are called, commanded, expected...pick your word...to invest in one another beyond our shared time in worship.  It's not about doing church together, it's about sharing life.  Who I spend my time with matters.  Most times, the people I am with are the people I become. We were created for relationship with both God and one another.  Life happens. Life is busy. I have lots of excuses. Investing in the faith family takes time and effort and it comes at a cost. 

My take aways for the day :
  1. Am I treating my time with God like it's optional? 
  2. Is there wavering in my hope?
  3. Is there any part of how I am doing life that is tripping up someone else?
  4. Am I seeing past my schedule to make time to invest in my faith family?

No comments:

Post a Comment