Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Eat Cake For Breakfast!

Spring 2012

This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it
Psalms 118:24

So I start my devo's every day with a little help from a "read the Bible in a year" guide.  I'll be honest, I started it in March of 2011 and I am only about 80% done.  BUT - I have spent more time with God and in His word in the last 14 months than I had in the previous 2010, and I am in no rush.  Anyway, today's read was Psalms 118.  

For some, this would be a sullen day of pouting. A day to miss the past, or to long for days gone by.  Today is my 40th Birthday. But how can I do that.  God gave me this really cool verse just for today!  This is the day the Lord has made... He knew this would be my day. Let us rejoice and be glad in it... no problem.  

I will be honest with you, right now 40 feels great and I am thankful for every day I have had so far.  Oh sure, there are a few extra pounds, a few more laugh lines and even a couple more "natural highlights".  I takes me a bit longer to get up off the floor and bruises take a bit longer to heal, but lets be honest now - I have it pretty good. For one thing, I am here. My parents chose life and my God has blessed it.  I have parents who love me dearly.  They were just kids themselves when I came along, but they made the grown up decision to be a family and we grew up together. They gave me love and they were never afraid to let me dream. When I was a child, they took a deep breath and acted like parents and made the hard  parenting choices when needed. Now we are friends and I cherish them.  Later my sister and brothers came along and while our age difference was a big thing at first, I can say as adults we are friends.  Matt and I met in our teens; married and started our family in our twenties; and grew that family and put down some roots in our thirties. Now we watch and help (when needed) as our boys grow in to Godly young men. How many girls can say that they grew up with, married, and are still crazy in love with their best friend? Me. The Barnes', The Antilla's, The Wilsons, The Haneys, The Fosters, and of course all of the wonderful friends that God has planted in my life  - all of these people are part of how God has grown my family in the last 40 years.  So many blessings, there simply is no choice but to rejoice... and oh yeah...it's my birthday so I am gonna eat cake for breakfast.  Life is too short not to start the day with cake every now and again :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment