Sunday, December 29, 2013

The New Years Resolution Pit

New Years resolutions are a great big lie, a deep dark endless pit ~ at least for me. Resolutions are those things that I know I need to do, and yet I know even as I say the words that I will fail.  I will never get the laundry done in one day, or be completely caught up at work or be reading all of the books on my shelves. I probably wont run 5 miles a day, and rice cakes will never taste as good as yeast rolls. I will never resolve to eat chocolate, avoid exercise and drink more coffee ...yet those things I would easily accomplish.

The failure with resolutions in my world is - well me! It's usually me deciding that I need to change something in some way. The problem with that is also me. See, at the heart of it, most things I would resolve to change are sin rooted and thus these changes are beyond what I can do. God doesn't call me to live a life of resolution, instead He calls me to be transformed. And transformation isn't something I can ever do on my own, it only comes from God. Period. The End.

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed" Romans

  • I would resolve to diet  ~ but what I need is for God to transform my attitude of laziness and mediocrity so that I can strive for excellence and healthy living that is pleasing to God. God created me and He doesn't make junk. I don't think He cares if I ever get back my size 5 thighs but I do think that God calls me to care for His creation and I think it breaks His heart when I don't treat myself well. 
  • I would resolve to be less of a people pleaser ~ but what I need is to get rid of the idol in my life that is "public approval" and replace it with obedience to my Heavenly Father. His opinion after all is the ONLY one that matters. This means sometimes when people ask me to do things, I should pray about it, say "No, but thank you for thinking of me" and know that me and God are still ok.
  • I would resolve to be less busy ~ but what I need is for God to transform my priorities and plans and bring my desires into alignment with His will. Busier isn't Better, especially if it leads me down the dark path of weariness, restlessness and burnout.
  • I would resolve to spend less and spend smart ~ but what I need is for God to transform my discontentment and my envy and replace it with contentment and gratitude.
  • I would resolve to speak well or be silent ~ but what I need is for God to transform the words of my mouth so that in all things I honor Him.
  • I would resolve to be a better wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend ~ but what I need is for God to transform my selfishness to His character of selfless love.
  • I would resolve to be less judgmental ~ but what I need is for God to transform my arrogance and my prejudice so that I can reflect both God's grace and His truth in ways that draw others toward Him.
  • I would resolve to be less stubborn ~ but what I need is for God to transform my pride so that I can submit to Godly authority.

God loves me enough to meet me every day right where I am, and He loves me TOO MUCH to let me stay here. In 2013 God did some great things in my heart and in my life. But I am defiantly a work in progress. I'm on a journey. Praise God I am not who I was. Praise God, He is not done with me yet! Thank you God for the way you continue to faithfully and patiently transform me. Amen






No comments:

Post a Comment