Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Christmas Crazy

These are the days where that little thing I call "Christmas Crazy" starts to set in. I have a plan and I will not be dis-swayed. Places to go and things to get done ... only 4 days 'till Christmas! I'm gonna be in my car and  just so you know, I am gonna be ridiculous - don't judge 'cause you are too. Driving aggressive, driving grumpy, playing leap frog with other cars to get one space ahead and "win", willing to thumb wrestle little old men and pregnant ladies for a closer parking space and praying things like "Lord help that stupid driver" or "Lord let there be a cop close by to see that moron please!" It's the mad dash to the mall for that one gift that I forgot or can't yet find. It's the rat race at the grocery store where I'll look for those last minute ingredients that will complete the menu of the next few days. And diapers...do we have enough diapers to make it until Dec 26th? Preschools consume half their wight in sugar every day, they skip naps and they stay up way past normal bed times. College students do not understand the concept that we are "saving" that food for later. In our neighborhood the elementary age kids are overflowing with Christmas vacation energy and trapped inside houses that are covered in ice and snow. And laundry, why do people keep wearing clothes?!?

Then there is the family. Not my family because we are perfect, and of course none of my friends families either - cause they are perfect too :-) It's spending time with people that we truly love. We'd move mountains for them, we'd drive thru ice storms for them, we'd sit through awful Christmas band programs for them. We love them fiercely, and yet sometimes they make us absolutely certifiably nuts! They think we can be 12 places at once. They show up late, they laugh too loud, they eat the last Oreo ball; their kids are crazy, they have picky diets, they think they know everything about everything all of the time and they love to tell you what you should do or should have done.

Christmas Crazy steals my joy. Last year at Church I heard someone say "this year I want Christmas to bring Peace on earth" and my without even thinking response was "Not me! I'd be happy with a little peace for the Wilson 5." In these moments I cling to Luke 2 The angel said, “Don’t be afraid! Look! I bring good news to you—wonderful, joyous news for all people. Your savior is born today in David’s city. He is Christ the Lord. This is a sign for you: you will find a newborn baby wrapped snugly and lying in a manger.” Suddenly a great assembly of the heavenly forces was with the angel praising God. They said, “Glory to God in heaven, and on earth peace among those whom he favors.” Christmas is a time for wonderful, joyous praise - not crazy, cranky complaint. So I match up what the angels said in Luke with a few words from my Jesus as recorded in John " “Peace I leave with you. My peace I give you. I give to you not as the world gives. Don’t be troubled or afraid". Peace is a gift that sits wrapped under my tree. Like any gift I can choose to accept it or I can leave it unclaimed. God extends peace, Jesus offers peace, the real question is WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH IT?

No comments:

Post a Comment