Friday, December 27, 2013

Do I FaLaLa and Forget?

On December 26th the Christmas music stops, and so do the endless cycles of Christmas themed movies on the television, cable and nextflix. Many people are back on the job doing their 9 to 5 thing and looking forward to the next break from work - New Years Eve. By New Years Day most businesses and many homes have all the "Christmas decorations" boxed up for another 11 month slumber in the attack, basement or shed. A few Christmas treats still cover the front table; fudge, brittle and caramel bars are a sweat reminder of the laughter and smiles earlier this week. There's a stack of new clothes to wear (and perhaps a few to return) and a pile of new movies to watch.

Here in the Midwest we are settling in for for looks to be a cold and snowy winter. January and February are going to drag on endlessly for sure. Dark when I leave for work and dark when I get home; it'll be cold and snowy, cold and icy or just cold. It's the season of the flu and bronchitis. Leaves being blown through the front door have been replaced with sand and salt getting tracked through the house. And then there are the never fully dried mittens, lost hats and misplaced scarfs. The few houses that got lights up outside before the early November snow and ice are committed now - those lights are frozen firmly in place 'till we get a little thaw. For the most part, Christmas is over and the the Spirit of Christmas it seems is gone too. It breaks my heart, it makes me sad and it leaves me feeling - well embarrassed. As I read in Luke this morning these words seared my heart.

  "So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph and the baby who was lying in a manger. When they (the shepherds) had seen him,  they spread the word concerning what had been told to them about this child and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them.

They didn't keep quiet and they didn't forget. The shepherds were not like me at all.  Christmas morning changed everything and because of the manger, the cross and the empty tomb were possible.. Their Christmas Encounter changed their reality forever. Those shepherds did what I should be doing every day: telling people, showing people, sharing my life with people and loving people to the loving and open arms of God.  You see, I am different now. Jesus changed me ~ and it's amazing. So this year, I will not FaLaLa and forget. This year, I'm gonna be like a shepherd and I'm gonna share.

No comments:

Post a Comment