Sunday, March 25, 2012

Change Your Life Not Just Your Clothes


Joel 2: 12 - 13   The Message

But there's also this, it's not too late—
   God's personal Message!—
"Come back to me and really mean it!
   Come fasting and weeping, sorry for your sins!"
 13-14Change your life, not just your clothes.
   Come back to God, your God.
And here's why: God is kind and merciful.
   He takes a deep breath, puts up with a lot,
This most patient God, extravagant in love,
   always ready to cancel catastrophe.

"Change your life not just your clothes"

How much time do I spend thinking about what I will wear each day?  The hair, the makeup, the outfit, the shoes, the necklace, the nailpolish - with spring time warmth comes the need for my toes to match! Who will I see, what will we be doing, how long will I be on my feet?  Professional or casual?  Short sleeves, long sleeves, flip flops or boots? Am I dressing for a few hours or for a busy day and evening.  Here's the truth...that's all about what people see and not at all about who I am.   I have heard it said that "Just 'cause you feel bad doesn't mean you need to look bad" and at an early age I began to buy into the idea that regardless of my inner status, what people saw was what mattered. That's all about the package and not at all about what's inside the box.   People can be fooled.

God is smarter than that.  God knows when I am "dressing for church" on Sundays.  God knows when I am doing the "church thing" with "church people".  God knows when I want His love, His forgiveness, and His blessing...but not His authority, His way, or His standard.  But the cool thing is that in spite of my fake face and my fake sorrow and my real disobedience God still loves me.  He is "kind and merciful.  He takes a deep breath, puts up with a lot. This most patient God, extravagant in love is always ready to cancel caststrophe"  For me there isn't time to waste.  I don't know how many chances I will have. Today could be the day that God calls me home, or tomorrow, or the next day.  I wont risk my eternity on the chance that I may get a do over with God somewhere down the line.  So God help me today.  Continue to work your change in me.  You know who I'll meet today - help me to be the kind of Bible you would be proud to have them read.  I want your character to be more clear than my clothes.  I want your love to be the first thing I put on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment