Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Do you think I stink?

Do you think I stink?
That is the question.
I am grateful that God always makes it possible for Christ to lead us to victory. God also helps us spread the knowledge about Christ everywhere, and this knowledge is like the smell of perfume. 15-16 In fact, God thinks of us as a perfume that brings Christ to everyone. For people who are being saved, this perfume has a sweet smell and leads them to a better life. But for people who are lost, it has a bad smell and leads them to a horrible death. 2 Corinthians 2:14-16
The more I read these verses the more they inspire me. Yet the more I read these verses, the more troubled my heart becomes.
I am grateful that God always makes it possible for Christ to lead us to victory. God also helps us spread the knowledge about Christ everywhere
Christ is my leader. He sets the course. It is only with the supernatural power of God Himself that the gospel message can be successfully shared. It's not about me at all. God's word, God's timing, God's prevenient grace. Salvation is a gift to me shared.
...and this knowledge is like the smell of perfume. In fact, God thinks of us as a perfume that brings Christ to everyone.
The scent of a perfume travels fast and far. It reaches all. It is not selective in who gets to smell it.  Smell is one of our most powerful senses. It can effect us physically. It can trigger memories. It can stir emotions. God's presence in my life should be evident to all those who encounter me.
For people who are being saved, this perfume has a sweet smell and leads them to a better life. But for people who are lost, it has a bad smell and leads them to a horrible death.
There are just two groups. The first group - the people to whom the gospel message draws them closer to personal relationship from God.  The second group- the people to whom the gospel message drives them farther from God. There is no middle ground. There is no middle. To encounter Christ is to either draw closer to Him or to purposely be distant. The message of Christ brings hope, healing and restoration to those who claim His as Savior. The message of Christ will bring eternal separation from God for those who refuse.

My God is merciful. Full of grace, compassion and love. My God is just. He cannot stand sin. There is no audience or casual observer. There are no bench warmers. There there is no limbo. No minor leagues. No Drafting Day. God will not force you to be on His team, instead he wants you to pick Him. Your on a team. Right now. Even if you say "I'm not choosing a team, or I am not playing this game" - you have chosen a team.

I'm doing life with Jesus, and while I am far from perfect God is perfecting me. When you are near me, you are around God's perfume.

So how do I smell?

No comments:

Post a Comment