Friday, March 15, 2013

My week as a tall girl...

I try not to judge people. God determines the color of our eyes, our skin and our hair. The sound of our voice, our physical and intellectual abilities ~ all in His amazing hands. God doesn't make junk and He never makes mistakes. I guess that means that He knew what He was doing when He created me. But me and God still talk about it sometimes.

I can relate to how Goldilocks must have felt every time she tried to use Papa Bears stuff in that familiar children's fairy tale. I live in a world designed for people that are not my size. I come from a tall people ~ mostly. I am  the shortest of my siblings. My family often says I am the mini version of my little sister. She's amazing so I will take that as a compliment. I am now the shortest person in my house ~ but I am still the mamma. Now some of my best girlfriends, my husband and all three of my sons are tall, and I still love them. But I'll be honest, sometimes TALL people annoy me. They can always reach the stuff on the top shelf. They can see over the displays in stores. They can reach the gas pedal ~ yeah I drive with my toes, don't judge. Capri's don't fit my tall girlfriends like high water pants, and they never have to alter their skirts or dresses. I was in a school last week and needed to set up the room for class. The white screen was up, so I went over (in my boots with 3 inch heels) to pull the hook and set the screen in place. I could not reach ~ even in heels. Sensing my distress, the class full of 7th graders responded with all the compassion and tenderness that one would expect: They laughed at me. It made me human and regular and it set the tone for a great class! 

Something  totally unexpected happened to me while I was in Guatemala. I became tall. Seriously. If Roxie and Lizzie weren't there (the two other ladies from my Church), then I WAS THE TALLEST GIRL IN THE VILLAGE!  WHAT!!!!!!! I know, right :-)  The mirror was hung so I could see (everyone else had to slouch). My feet touched the floor when I sat down at the breakfast and dinner table. The shower head was at just the right height - all be it a "refreshingly cool" temperature. I could find people easily in a crowd. I was digging this place. Except for the fact that I was a white, English speaking girl, I fit right in. 

Then that verse in 1 Samuel began to ring in my ears. "Do not consider his appearance or his height...The LORD does not look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

Oh yeah ~ what matters to God is the stuff people don't always see.
These wonderful people are spiritual giants. 
There is no cheap grace here.
They do not wet their feet on the shores of a journey with Jesus. They jump in the river.

God, don't let me settle for wet feet. I want to jump all the way in. It's scary. But I know You've got me.



No comments:

Post a Comment