Today we prepare for our 3rd funeral in four months. Later this week will be the 4th service in 4 months. This really sucks.
Don - a friend and a father
Josh - a friend and a son
Eddie - a friend and an uncle
Dr. Ken Johnson - chair of the Engineering Department at Olivet Nazarene University, mentor
Each left a lasting mark on the world and on the hearts of those who had the privilege to know them and share life with them for a while. Loved. Missed. Never to be forgotten.
So here are my thoughts for the day. Give them a read, or roll 'um and smoke 'um - it's really up to you. But remember this: Life is short, it goes by fast, and it really has a strange way of sneaking up on you when you least expect it so...
- Don't wait to get right with God. Death waits for no one - and He loves you so much.
- Don't be defined by the opinions of others, in the end, God's opinion is the only one that counts.
- Don't be afraid when God asks you to do what seems crazy or impossible.
- Don't be afraid to ask God hard questions and seek fervently to discover His truths.
- Don't waste time holding on to hurts from the past. Unforgiveness is a poison that slowly rots the soul.
- Tell Satan to shut up when he tries to define you by who you use to be - you are a new creation.
- Start every day with Jesus. It may not change what happens that day, but it will surely affect how you handle it.
- Treat Prayer as a first resource and not a last resort.
- Anyone can make a short term change; only God can transform
- Give people the freedom to move on from the failures of their past.
- Kiss your mamma and your daddy, your babies and your grandparents - regardless of your age or theirs.
- Make the most of every moment, we never get them back.
- Say I love you whenever you can.
- Be quick to say I am sorry and mean it - whenever it is necessary.
- Marry your best friend, and work every day to protect and grow that love.
- Pray with your spouse daily and hold hands.
- Take a break and live an unscheduled life every now and again.
- Rejoice when your friends rejoice and cry with them in the hard times.
- Pick your battles wisely and remember that timing is everything.
- Take a deep breath when the kids act like kids.
- Raise your kids to be Christ centered, functioning adults.
- Socks on the floor are not the end of the world - neither are empty milk cartons in the fridge or empty cereal boxes on the shelves. Not replacing the empty toilet paper with a fresh roll is NOT cool, and if you should happen to take out the trash - good job, now take 5 seconds and put in a new trash bag.
- Good character is more important than good grades - but good grades are good.
- Accept that the things of greatest worth in this world cannot be bought.
- Treasure trusted friendships, they are not easily or quickly replaced.
- Eat dinner at the table. Ask dorky questions and listen to the answers.
- People may not always remember what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.
- Do what you can, when you can, and put it all in God's hands.
- Every once in a while eat chocolate cake for breakfast.
- Be the best Jesus you can be to everyone you meet - they may only get to know Him thru you.
Search me Oh God and know my heart. Test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me and lead me in the way of everlasting. Psalms 139:23-24