Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Great Chew - Part 1

A good message leaves you with something to think about on Sunday evening. A great message still has you digging deep on Tuesday morning. This week I heard a great message. Thanks Pastor B. Right out of the gate I heard some things that still have me chewing...or at least how I am processing it still has me chewing.

The message was on Matthew Chapter 9 - the calling of Matthew to be specific."As Jesus went on from there, He saw a man named Matthew sitting at the tax collector's booth. 'Follow me' He told him and Matthew got up and followed Him."  I must admit that I approach this passage of scripture with a few preconceived ideas. First, Matthew had probably met or at least heard of Jesus in the past; this was not their first interaction. Second, as a tax collector Matthew had a good stable (tho not necessarily honest) income. There were those who probably disliked him, but he was sure to have had his own circle of friends. Third, when Matthew got up for work that day, he probably had NO IDEA what God had in mind. This was potentially the first day of the rest of his life ~ he just didn't know it yet. Matthew was living just fine in the middle of his self gratifying, self satisfying, broken, messed up life. But did he know it? Before Jesus spoke his name, and beckoned him to come, was Matthew aware of the hollowness of his reality. Or was he OBLIVIOUS? Lacking active, conscious knowledge; unmindful; unaware.

Jesus does not call me to to a life of oblivious comfort.
Jesus came to deliver me from a life of oblivious contentment.

Jesus speaks my name too. He says "Trisha, follow Me".
The real question is, what do I do with it?
I know Jesus from the past; we even have a relationship. So I can relate with Matthew there.
And my life is pretty comfortable ~ predictable ~ dare I say it's even a little safe.
But is today the first day of the rest of my life? Is today the day that I set aside oblivious contentment and exchange it for deliberate, unrestrained obedience?

Hmm...what would that kind of life look like?
Tomorrow we'll recap the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment