Monday, June 25, 2012

God Smart vs. World Smart

There is “God smart” and there is “World Smart” and they are not the same.

If you are wise and understand God’s ways, prove it by living an honorable life…

Honorable – Consistent with an untarnished reputation; honest; ethical; characterized by integrity;

…doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom.

Humility – A correct view of myself, without contempt for God or others. My heart and mind are in agreement with God about who He is, and I have a correct understanding of my place in relation to that truth.

But if you are bitterly jealous…
Jealousy – Feeling of resentment because of another’s achievement or ability

 and there is selfish ambition in your heart…
Selfish Ambition –Self seeking, pride filled and always looking out for one’s own interests above the interests of anyone else. 

…don’t cover up the truth with boasting and lying. For jealousy and selfishness are not God’s kind of wisdom. Such things are earthly, unspiritual, and demonic. For wherever there is jealousy and selfish ambition, there you will find disorder and evil of every kind.    James 3:13-16  (NLT)


With jealousy and selfish ambition present in my life, can I be in a productive, fruitful, loving relationship with my husband, my children, my family, or my church? My God is not a God of disorder, chaos or fear. My God is love, even when I don’t feel lovable. My God is peace, even in the midst of my storm. My God is joy, even when my heart is breaking. My God is a God of order, even when I can’t see the details or understand the plan.

But the wisdom from above is first of all pure…
Not corrupted or tainted with resentment or pride
…It is also peace loving…
Not looking for a fight or looking for credit (like the World)
But seeking unity in Christ
…gentle at all times…
Not beating, manipulating or bullying into submission (like the World)
 But with respect, guiding in loving relationship
…and willing to yield to others…
Not fighting for my right to always be the boss of me and others (like the World)
But accepting and respecting authority;
Not insisting that what’s best for me is what is in fact best (like the World)
But being sensitive and responsive to the needs of others
…It is full of mercy and good deeds…
Not judgmental, condemning and self serving (like the World)
But Compassionate and busy being the hands and feet of Jesus
…It shows no favoritism… and is always sincere.
No teachers pets and not fake (like the World)
And those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of righteousness.
 James 3:17-18  (NLT)
To be a peacemaker is to plant and reap – it takes hard work and time. It doesn’t happen by accident. It is intentional. We were created uniquely individual but we are called to be unified in Christ. This takes effort. It’s focusing on God, His plan, His path, His will.

Which type of wisdom do I have? Which type of wisdom do I strive for? What’s tripping me up? Am I brave enough to say “now what God”? Am I willing to obey when He answers?

No comments:

Post a Comment